*Summer 2023: Please note that due to the high volume of applications, funding is taking us longer than usual to process. We appreciate your patience.
Hand in Hand Funding for Uptown Waterloo Businesses
Hand in Hand now includes Co-op Advertising and Uptown Music!
The Hand in Hand program aims to support the local economy by providing funding to Uptown Waterloo businesses in the following categories:
- Sidewalk Activations
- Live Music (formerly Uptown Music)
- Advertising & Marketing (formerly Co-op Advertising)
PLEASE NOTE: funding is provided as an expense reimbursement and is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. In an effort to disburse funds as fairly as possible, businesses may apply once per quarter (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec). Please read the full conditions at the bottom of this page.
How to Apply?
To be considered for funding, please follow the steps below:
Call 519.885.1921 to provide a brief description of your idea and what you need the funding for. We will let you know if your application is pre-approved for funding. You may also e-mail Diego.Almaraz (at) waterloo.ca for pre-approval. Only pre-approved applications can be considered for funding.
2. Submit Expenses and Application
Once you have incurred expenses related to your pre-approved application, complete the online form and submit proof of expenses.
3. Receive the Funds
That’s it! you will receive an e-mail from our payment platform (Plooto) to deposit your funding 3-4 weeks after submitting the form and expenses.
Conditions & Requirements
- The Hand in Hand program is only available for Uptown Waterloo BIA businesses.
- Funds are allocated on a quarterly basis: businesses may only apply a maximum of once per quarter (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec).
- Depending on the number of applications received, funding is not guaranteed to be available the whole year.
- All initiatives must be open to the public and may not be used for personal gain.
- It is the responsibility of each business to organize and execute the proposal. The sole mandate of the Hand in Hand Program is to subsidize the financial cost for initiatives.
- Funding applications must be pre-approved to be considered.
- When submitting Hand in Hand applications and proof of expenses, please allow up to 3 weeks to receive funds.
- The Uptown Waterloo BIA does not share the ideas or opinions expressed by the business or performer of your event.
Special Hand in Hand funding is available from April to September for businesses who want to enhance their storefronts or patios along a public sidewalk, with the objective of adding visual interest and vibrancy to the Uptown streetscape. The following are examples of items that can be submitted for reimbursement:
- Bistro tables
- Outdoor racks
- Outdoor lighting
- Sandwich boards
Please e-mail Diego.Almaraz (at) waterloo.ca or call us at 519.885.1921 for more information about Sidewalk Activations.